Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fits and Starts

We have done very little of what we planned to do today. But it has been a great day anyway!

C woke up early after 4 straight days of opening at the bakery, so when I rolled out of bed around 9 he had already been awake for hours and was ready to Do Stuff! He made a yummy scramble (eggs, potatoes, and cheddar) that I paired with fruit and we made plans to take a bike ride and then hit up the movie theater to see Coraline, after which I was going to make tilapia with mango salsa for dinner.

However, once breakfast was over things went all pear-shaped. First, it was too rainy and cold for biking. So I decided that I would do the Firm video I bought over Christmas instead. Ten minutes of staring at the tv, bewildered at the dancing people, and I gave up that idea. I need to "preview" that like 50 times because I am no good at dance aerobics and they move fast!

C tried to hop in the shower, only to discover that we have no hot water! That sort of nixed things like washing dishes, showering well, etc. I took a shower anyway but literally yelped when I ducked into the full blast of the shower. C called our landlord and they were not nearly as concerned as we are. We might get someone out here on Tuesday. Seriously?? Argh.

After our totally unsuccessful midday, C suggested we hit the theater at matinee time, so we hopped in the car and headed to the movies only to encounter the world's worst traffic while trying to park. Seriously, like 20 minutes to go up one floor in the parking structure.

So after all that frustration, we got creative. We abandoned the movies and headed north, without a particular destination. Once across the Golden Gate we drove west around the Marin Headlands and stopped at various gun batteries and missile silos to look at the interpretive signage (M--I know you need to know--it wasn't very good) and climb around imagining the massive guns that sat guarding the Golden Gate from WWI until they were declared obsolete during WWII.

We stopped and bought some maps at the visitor's center because we had very little idea where we were, and then decided to drive up Highway 1 to Point Reyes Station and buy cheese at the Cowgirl Creamery. We did, and then munched on apples (that we brought), cheese, and chocolate on the way back to 101. By then it was raining pretty hard, so we didn't want to take Highway 1 all the way back.

As we were approaching the bridge again, C made the astute observation that we would not be able to clean up after cooking since we have no hot water. So we stopped on Chestnut and wandered (with the umbrella I keep in my trunk--yay!) until we found an Italian place that smelled delicious. I had lobster ravioli (yum!) and C had lasagna bolognese (even Yum-er!). On our way back to the car we happened upon a candy store called The Sweet Dish, and they were having a party! A friend of the owner sells vintage jewelry and there was a crazy bustle at the back of the store where she was hosting a trunk show. There was champagne and free samples and all the things you want in a candy shop.

Now I'm finishing up some laundry, posting, and about to do some old-school Tae Bo so I can say I did my cross-training for the Higdon plan. (Yes, I still do Tae Bo. It's the only video workout I've really ever liked, try as I might to expand my horizons.)

In short, it's been a fantabulous day, even though it was nothing like what we had planned! Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment